Music Industry seminars in association with Integrity Records delivered by Nick Tarbitt
Suitable for: musicians, singer-songwriters, start-up record label owners, producers, students.
Starts: 1st FEBRUARY 2018
Dates: Thursdays (other dates arranged as required for 1-1 sessions)
Cost: £40 for 1 hr/£70 for 2 hrs
Venue: Sound Gallery Studios, Exeter phoenix, Gandy street, Exeter, EX4 3LS
1. Start your own record label – the anatomy of a release: Whether releasing your own track or one by a band you know, this seminar takes you through the anatomy of a release, from the recording of a demo through to the promotion of your label’s 1st single on iTunes and Spotify. Learn about the vital timelines and checklists used by established record labels to give yourself the best chance of getting your single noticed.
2. Protecting your creation – know your rights: This seminar aims to explain the core legal principles to enable you and your band to protect the rights in your creative output. It includes basic copyright law, band agreements, video and artwork contracts, and distribution deals.
3. Building a team – who does what (and for what price): The seminar explores the popular alternative to signing with a major record label or going completely DIY, namely the building of a team of independent, specialist third parties to assist your progress as an artist/band. We look at the roles of producers, artist managers, live agents, media lawyers, accountants, PR companies, radio pluggers, TV pluggers and label services providers.
4. Monetise your music: Here we explore the different revenue streams which your music may be able to generate, including digital distribution, the role of aggregators, direct distribution (via the likes of Bandcamp), manufacturing physical product (including limited editions), the different ways to approach merchandise, the role of collection societies, and synchronisation (on TV and commercials).
5. Marketing and promotion: This seminar concentrates on the core options for the marketing and promotion of your release, including how best to maximise your chances with only a limited budget.
6. Pitching your music to the industry (with live demo feedback session): Here, we provide a record label’s and music publisher’s perspective of the dos and don’ts of pitching your music to the music industry. This seminar also includes a live demo feedback session where your demos/tracks/songs will be reviewed.
7. Signing a record deal: This seminar looks at the different types of record deal that you may be offered (major, indie, exclusive recording contract, finished product licence, 270/360 deals, etc.) along with some of the key clauses that you should look out for (territory, term, label obligations, artist obligations, etc.).
8. Publishing and sync agency deals: In this seminar, we consider the different types of deal that are available to exploit and monetise your songs, including songwriter agreements, single song assignments, publishing administration deals and sync agency deals.
About Nick Tarbitt & Integrity Records
In the early 1990s, Nick Tarbitt set up Integrity Records Ltd, now one of the U.K.'s longest running truly independent record labels and known for finding & nurturing cool new talent. Their releases, spanning various genres from punk to drum & bass via indie-folk and quirky pop, have been heard on BBC Radio 1, BBC 6 Music and BBC Radio 2, alongside XFM/Radio X, Q Radio, Amazing Radio and numerous regional stations in the UK and abroad. Many of their artists have played live sessions from the BBC Maida Vale studios for Steve Lamacq, Jo Whiley, Zane Lowe, Mike Davies and the late John Peel.
Nick also has several years’ experience as a media & entertainment lawyer, advising musicians, management companies and record labels on contractual issues, but with a particular interest in assisting new artists, musicians and performers with their early steps in the industry, including their first band agreements, management contracts, recording deals, licensing and publishing agreements.
In 2015 Nick partnered with Grammy-winning producer Trevor Gibson to found Integrity Publishing Ltd, a boutique music publisher with a carefully hand-picked catalogue of the finest international song writing talent and pre-cleared quality production music across multiple genres for commercial use in film, television, advertising & computer games.
Integrity Publishing has music placed across the usual range of syncs, from simple corporate videos for in-house events & trade shows through to internationally distributed independent films and retail commercials for prestige brands such as BMW and CHANEL.